Oakleaf has developed its own upholstery course, which comes under Oakleaf’s wellbeing offering. The course is overseen by our Upholstery trainer.
Clients work towards an initial 6-week introductory course which involves:
– An introduction to the workshop, health and safety, and identifying/use of hand tools
– Learn to strip down a drop-in seat
– Upholster a drop-in seat and learn the skills to keep a written and photographic record of the work as part of your assessment
For clients who have enjoyed the introduction and wish to further their skills, they can progress to an 18-week course comprising of:
– Learn sewing machine skills
– Produce two scatter cushions, one with piping finish
– Learn to strip down a stitch and stuff chair
– Upholster a stitch and stuff chair
– Document and photograph each stage of all work produced
These courses provide a therapeutic practice and give you the opportunity to learn hands-on skills. They encourage care and attention to detail, timekeeping, problem solving and the ability to fulfil a brief.